The American University Washington College of Law Tenley Campus involved relocation of the entire law school. The 500,000 SF project included new construction of Yuma Hall and Warren Hall, renovations of historic Capital Hall and an adjacent chapel, and a 178,300 SF, 400-space, underground parking garage. The new school consists of:
- Six 100-seat lecture halls
- Two-story Pence Law Library
- 60-seat moot court room
- Four teaching court rooms
- 140-seat auditorium
- Offices and administration space
- Dining/food service area and café
- Four-story atrium
- Conference rooms
- Seminar rooms
- 320-person event room with catering area
- Study areas and lounges
- 5,400 SF outdoor courtyard
The historic portion of the project included Capital Hall and an adjacent chapel that date back to 1909 and 1920 respectively. The renovation of Capital Hall revealed a deficient structure, so a supplemental structural steel system and foundations were added to the building to upgrade and repair its structure. The building now houses the dean’s office, academic affairs, admissions and student services.
The historic chapel was a part of the Immaculata Seminary of the Sisters of Providence before the property was purchased by the University. The project transformed the chapel into the 60-seat Stephen S. Weinstein Courtroom and two other smaller practice courtrooms.
This project achieved LEED® Gold certification was awarded the 2017 WBC Craftsmanship award for mechanical.