Baltimore City College, originally built in 1839, is the third oldest public high school in the United States. The Center for Teaching and Learning project included restoration of the school’s 90-year-old, neo-Gothic library to honor the historic aspects of the building, while also creating a modern academic center to meet the needs of current students. The 10,000 SF facility supports 1,300 students and provides them with an up-to-date learning center for research, collaboration, studying and reading. The project was 100% fund-raised, the result of a campaign initiated by students and alumni.
Prior to construction, the entire wing of the building was unoccupied due to its uninviting characteristics and hazards imposed on the students. The project included full HVAC replacement and upgrades throughout. The renovation restored the facility’s original terrazzo and slate flooring and replaced the damaged wooden floor. Today, the updated library is an attraction for Baltimore City College and includes new work spaces, a reading room, multipurpose space, and four academic and research support areas.