The original Drayton Mill complex was constructed in 1902 and expanded in 1952 to manufacture cotton into textile carpeting and fabrics. The buildings, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, were recently converted into 289 high-end apartments. The facility includes one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments with 78 different floorplans. The complex also includes a pool, fitness center, retail space, a restaurant, parking and walking paths.
CY OF SOIL REMEDIATION
BUILDING ORIGINALLY CONSTRUCTED
The buildings’ factory maple hardwood floors were refurbished, and the existing brick exterior was repointed to match historic colors. In some cases, the mortar was stained to match where the new entrance openings were cut in. The new windows had to match the original color and shape, so the architect used historic pictures and a few existing windows as the design parameters. The complex also included a warehouse that was converted into retail space and a company store that was upfitted into a restaurant. The restaurant has a restored tin ceiling, and the retail cold dark shell walls and timber roof structures were restored intact. The restoration work was monitored by the Department of Housing and Urban Development and State Historic Preservation Officers for workmanship to mirror the original construction.
The 10-acre complex also included two water tanks that were emptied and refurbished, and a new 1,300 SF in-ground pool was installed between them. The complex’s two-story boiler room was also converted into a fitness center. One of the building appendages was demolished down to the concrete support structure, and the concrete deck was converted into a parking lot the spans the existing creek.
The historic project inevitably involved hazardous materials including lead-based paint and asbestos materials, as well as 2,000 CY of soil remediation. On each floor, the lead-based paint was blasted off the walls and ceilings. The asbestos work consisted of removal and legal disposal of siding, pipe insulation and vinyl retrofitted floor tile. The floor demolition consisted of gutting all of the existing plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems, as well as removing the brick infills at the window openings. Areas such as the mechanical room and elevator material lifts were removed so each apartment could have window views. There were also numerous artifacts that were salvaged for historic reasons, including fan blades, work benches, tools, gages and fixtures. All demolition waste of wood, concrete, brick and metal piping materials were recycled.