Virginia Theological Seminary Immanuel Chapel

About

THIS PROJECT

The Virginia Theological Seminary was founded in 1823 and is the largest of the accredited seminaries of the Episcopal Church. The new 14,000 SF, single-level Immanuel Chapel replaced the seminary’s historic Immanuel Chapel, built in 1881, after it was destroyed in a fire. The new facility includes:

  • Parlor
  • Ambulatory area
  • Sacristy and vesting rooms
  • Oratory space
  • Choir room
  • Children's room
  • Support spaces
  • Bell tower with eight change ringing bells
  • 2,500-pound chandelier

PROJECT OVERVIEW

LOCATION:
Alexandria, Virginia
Mid-Atlantic

CLIENT:
Virginia Theological Seminary

INDUSTRY:
Community

PRACTICES:
Sustainability

0
14,000

SQUARE FEET

0
2,500

POUND CHANDELIER

0
8

CHANGE RINGING BELLS IN BELL TOWER

The series of change ringing bells in the tower is one of 52 such towers in North America, and the chandelier, with a 32-foot diameter, is one of the largest on the east coast. The project also required extensive sitework, including utility relocations, a new stormwater vault, relocation of the main entrance, and new driveways and parking areas.

This project achieved LEED® Gold certification. It also received the Washington Building Congress Star Award for “Technical Excellence” in plaster work, as well as Washington Building Congress Award for millwork.

Project

GALLERY

Community National Leader
Christopher Moore
410-337-5702
Send a Message