The Sagamore Pendry Baltimore is an adaptive reuse project that included renovating a building constructed in 1914 and a pier that once served as a dance hall and a landing point for Baltimore immigrants. The new pier now supports an 80,000 SF, three-story, 128-room luxury hotel. The guestrooms wrap around the pier with a central courtyard, and the end of the pier has an outdoor pool, cabanas and a bar.
BEST RENOVATION/RESTORATION PROJECT
BUILDING ORIGINALLY CONSTRUCTED
ROOM LUXURY HOTEL
The facility offers seven different room types including a 1,200 SF Harbor Suite and a 1,400 SF Presidential Suite, and the building’s original ballroom was restored and updated to serve as the hotel’s 300-person banquet facility. During construction, the team discovered cannons on the harbor floor, which had been abandoned centuries ago by European traders. The artifacts were incorporated into the design in the Cannon Room, an intimate whiskey bar on the first floor. The building also features the Rec Pier Chop House, a signature restaurant, as well as a fitness center and spa services.
The century-old building involved extensive historic restoration and reconstruction work, including:
- Restoration and reconstruction of all brick and stonework
- Restoration of the head house’s wooden windows
- Replastering of the third-floor ballroom
- Rehabilitation of the structurally deficient pier
- Removal of a modern infill to restore the two-story grand staircase
This project was awarded 2017 Best Renovation/Restoration Project by ENR MidAtlantic