The Virginia Theological Seminary was founded in 1823 and is the largest of the accredited seminaries of the Episcopal Church. The new 14,000 SF, single-level Immanuel Chapel replaced the seminary’s historic Immanuel Chapel, built in 1881, after it was destroyed in a fire. The new facility includes:
- Ambulatory area
- Sacristy and vesting rooms
- Oratory space
- Choir room
- Children's room
- Support spaces
- Bell tower with eight change ringing bells
- 2,500-pound chandelier
CHANGE RINGING BELLS IN BELL TOWER
The series of change ringing bells in the tower is one of 52 such towers in North America, and the chandelier, with a 32-foot diameter, is one of the largest on the east coast. The project also required extensive sitework, including utility relocations, a new stormwater vault, relocation of the main entrance, and new driveways and parking areas.
This project achieved LEED® Gold certification. It also received the Washington Building Congress Star Award for “Technical Excellence” in plaster work, as well as Washington Building Congress Award for millwork.