Holy Trinity School Upper and Lower Schools
Established in 1818, Holy Trinity School is Washington, DC’s oldest Catholic elementary school. To accommodate space and accessibility needs, the school initiated a 45,000 SF project consisting of renovations and additions to its upper and lower schools. Both demolition and construction took place in the occupied school building, and Whiting-Turner took extreme care with temporary partitions and MEP systems to avoid interrupting school operations.
Upper and Lower
Work to the lower school consisted of a fast-tracked renovation and 1,500 SF addition to accommodate enhanced accessibility and life safety modifications. This included selective demolition and abatement, a new accessible entrance, elevator and restrooms, added fire protection system throughout, and modified finishes in classrooms, art rooms and faculty spaces. The addition’s exterior walls were constructed of brick with double-hung windows to match the existing adjacent walls.
The upper school renovations were completed in two phases. The first phase included the complete demolition of the existing auditorium and reconstruction of 4,300 SF for third floor classrooms, as well as a multipurpose room. The multipurpose room includes a stowaway, retractable stage that allows the room to transform into a gymnasium, theater or religious space. The second phase of the upper school project included a 24,000 SF, fast-tracked summer renovation. This renovation included selective demolition and abatement, a new elevator, restrooms, and mechanical and electrical systems throughout.