BWI D/E Connector
The D/E Connector project included construction of a secure side connector between two piers at the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. This connector was built out onto the operational, secure side of the airfield, and above and around an existing operation baggage service area.
The connector includes:
- Eight-lane security checkpoint
- Four new hold rooms and the renovation of four hold rooms
- Art gallery
- Tenant space for concessions
- Modifications to the Federal Inspection Services hall
- Two new baggage handling systems
- Two line extensions to existing baggage handling
- Four passenger boarding bridges with associated 400 Hz and PC Air
Baggage Handling Systems
lane security checkpoint
The project also included the relocation of an active 13 kVA primary electrical service and duct bank, a phased demolition and rebuild of an active mechanical room, as well as the installation of a new primary electrical substation.
At the existing D Pier, a new steel structure and roof was overbuilt above the only terminal connection to the D Pier gates for inbound and departing flights.
The existing precast plank and roof system was shored and selectively demolished to permit the interior construction and finishes. This was completed while successfully maintaining operations and passenger traffic.
This project won the 2018 IPI Partnered Project of the Year Diamond Level Award.