This project involved the construction of a combined heat and power plant for Naval Station in Norfolk, Virginia supplying the base with both electricity and steam year-round. The plant provides all the base’s steam needs for most of the year with the existing steam boilers operating in the winter months. The facility includes the following equipment:
- Combustion turbine generator rated for a nominal 14.9 megawatts
- Heat recovery steam generator rated for 180,000 pounds/hour saturated steam at 250 PSIG
- Reciprocating a three-stage fuel gas compressor system to step fuel gas from 20 PSIG distribution pressure to 385 PSIG
- Power and control center with 13.2-KV paralleling switchgear and generator control system
- 18/24/30 MVA generator step-up transformer
- Four demand response generators, including two natural gas reciprocating generators and two diesel reciprocating generators for an additional 10.5 MW of generating capacity
The plant is supported by 7,000 LF of auger cast pile foundations, and the pile cap equipment foundations contain 1,650 cubic yards of concrete and 200,000 pounds of reinforcing steel.