This project involved the construction of a combined heat and power plant for Naval Station in Norfolk, supplying the base with both electric power and steam year-round. The plant provides all the base’s steam needs for most of the year with the existing steam boilers operating in the winter months. The facility includes the following equipment:
- Combustion turbine generator rated for a nominal 14.9 megawatts
- 83-ton heat recovery steam generator rated for up to 180,000 pounds/hour saturated steam at 250 PSIG
- Reciprocating fuel gas compressor system
- Power and control center with 13.2-kilovolt paralle ling switchgear and generator control system
- 18/24/30 MVA generator step-up transformer
- Four demand response generators, including two natural gas reciprocating generators and two diesel reciprocating generators
The plant is supported by 7,000 LF of auger cast pile foundations, and the pile cap equipment foundations contain 1,650 cubic yards of concrete and 200,000 pounds of reinforcing steel.