The Stanford ChEM-H and SNI Building is a 235,000 SF research laboratory building that collocates the Stanford Neurosciences Institute (SNI) and Chemistry, Engineering Medicine and Human Health (ChEM-H). The research complex brings together chemists, biologists, engineers and clinicians to provide space for groundbreaking research in biochemistry and neuroscience.
The facility includes:
- Animal research facility and vivarium
- Wet and dry laboratories
- Computational/theory research laboratories
- Maker spaces
- Large multi-purpose meeting space
- Nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometers
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Common/recreation space
- Elliptical courtyard
- Principal investigator offices
This project used design-assist techniques to partner with several major subcontractors early within the design process. This early collaboration effort was further developed utilizing an extensive BIM/VDC model for coordination and construction purposes, and ultimately allowed the use of off-site construction techniques for several complex MEP systems for an expedited installation.